My reply to JI on finding high tech work from home:

Since you have a tech background and you are in a very well populated region (metro NYC area), you should have less trouble than most. Yes, you want to stay from all the "make a million" promos out there - I've never seen even ONE that had any merit, and unfortunately my About Home Business site attracts them by the hundreds with spam comments I have a hard time keeping up with.
I would suggest you take a more traditional route. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking at and similar sites like on a regular basis. I'd also be looking on CraigsList, first in your area then expanding out. I had a blog post about CraigsFindr recently that allows you to search multiple regions at once, since CL doesn't allow that. (Guide note: Since this response, CraigsList has disabled CraigsFindr's ability to do this.) I'd also be checking Monster and CareerBuilder and if you don't already have one I'd set up a profile on LinkedIn.com and look for work there - both through their search tool and by networking. Search for people you've known in the past, you might be surprised who you find on . They can be a good source of referrals and recommendations.
You might also register with recruiters who have postings in your line of work. Although I've had bad experiences with third-party recruiters and staffing agencies and now avoid them completely, others have had favorable experiences. Additionally, if you don't already belong to one, I'd join at least one professional association in your line of work - they often have leads and provide an additional place to network. Also, has far and away the most remote working arrangements I've ever seen - many for high tech, including various types of project managers, so you should be trolling their job postings regularly, too.
You might also consider offering your services as an independent in order to work from home, if you are in a position to do so. Since technically, employers can't tell independent contractors when they must work, my own experience has been the opportunities to work from home are far greater in an independent capacity than they are for employees. I've been doing that for five years now and while it hasn't always been easy as far as cash flow and costs, I'm usually in a position where I can refuse projects that require me to be on site every day.
Last but not least, if you are still employed, think about how you might approach your current employer with the prospect of working remotely. A majority of people who come to my site were able to snag their first work at home position with their existing employer.
GSK/

site meter